The NSW Government's Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships mean that students can get training to get the skills they need to get the job they want and their course fees will be covered.
Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships are available for:
- young people who are eligible for a concession fee
- young people who are or have been in out-of-home care
- people who are experiencing or have experienced domestic and family violence and their dependants.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for a Fee-Free Scholarship, you must:
- be wanting to study a Smart and Skilled subsidised Certificate I, Certificate II, Certificate III or Certificate IV level qualification on the NSW Skills List, including those qualifications that support apprenticeships and traineeships. Use the Course Finder; and
- meet the Smart and Skilled eligibility criteria (go to the Eligibility Checker)
- be aged between 15 and 30 years old when you start training; and
- be either the recipient of a specific Australian Government welfare benefit or allowance or the dependant of such a recipient (please refer to the fact sheet What is concession-eligible? for further details as to eligibility); or
- be aged 15-17 years old and currently in out-of-home care or aged 18-30 years old and previously have been in out-of-home care (please refer to the fact sheet Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships for young people in out-of-home care for further details as to eligibility)
- have a letter of recommendation from a domestic and family violence service, refuge or other support agency (please refer to the fact sheet Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships – People who are experiencing or have experienced domestic and family violence for further details as to eligibility and information about organisations which can provide the letter); and
- be commencing training on or after 1 July 2016.
There are 200,000 scholarships available over four years to 30 June 2019. Eligible students are entitled to one Fee-Free Scholarship per financial year, and a maximum of two Fee-Free Scholarships from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2019.
The following fact sheets may be of use:
- Fee-Free Scholarships - for students (pdf 510 KB)
- Fee-Free Scholarships - what is concession eligible (pdf 419 KB)
- Fee-Free Scholarships - social housing residents (pdf 418 KB)
- Fee-Free Scholarships - out-of-home care (pdf 432 KB)
- Fee-Free Scholarships - people who are experiencing or have experienced domestic and family violence (pdf 456 KB)
Students with any questions regarding their Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarship eligibility, should contact Training Services NSW Customer Support Centre on 1300 772 104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Providers requiring assistance with managing any aspect of their Smart and Skilled contract, should contact Training Market Customer Support email@example.com or call (02) 9266 8008.